Child Protection Policy Statement
Swanage Sea Rowing Club aims to promote the participation of children in our club by creating a culture of safety and fun.
"Children have the right to be protected from all forms of violence; they must be kept safe from harm, and they must be given proper care by those looking after them"
(Article 19 ; UN Convention on the Rights of the Child)
All children's sport should be conducted in an atmosphere of fair play. Ireland and the UK have adopted and are committed to the European Code of Sports Ethics, which defines fair play as:
"much more than playing within the rules. It incorporates the concepts of friendship, respect for others and always playing within the right spirit. Fair play is defined as a way of thinking, not just a way of behaving. It incorporates issues concerned with the elimination of cheating, gamesmanship, doping, violence (both physical and verbal), exploitation, unequal opportunities, excessive commercialism and corruption."
(European Sports Charter and Code of Ethics, Council of Europe, 1993)
Children have the right to be safe. All coaches should ensure that this fundamental principle takes precedence over all other considerations.
Standards set by "Swanage Sea Rowing Club" will be achieved through ensuring: -
- Development of awareness of the issues that where children may need protection.
- Safe recruiting procedures for volunteers/coaches
- Provision of training for volunteers/coaches (Where applicable)
- Application of codes of behaviour for volunteers/coaches
- Application of codes of behaviour for children/young people
- Application of codes of behaviour for parents
- Application of good and safe practices
- Establishment of procedures for dealing with/ recording of complaints/accidents
- The club have procedures relating specifically to bullying, away trips and use of photography
- Identification and maintenance of parental responsibility
Availability of information
An induction document for parents, coaches and children will be made available clearly outlining the rights and responsibilities
Regular review and monitoring of Child Protection procedures by the management committee
- That all children are treated equally
This policy applies to all those involved in "Swanage Sea Rowing Club", Committee members, coaches, administrators, officials, volunteer drivers, parents and young people.